Friday, June 15, 2007

Help Children Dream

This piece I had read in ‘Chicken Soup for the Soul’ by Mark Victor Hansen and others. Good work. I apologize for using my own words as I don’t have the book now.

A speaker is addressing an audience in a cozy hall of a farm house. Once a teacher gave an assignment to children to write about there dream. One boy had always thought of a dream farm house spread over two hundred acres along with a ranch and few dozen horses. The boy worked planning meticulously the drawings of lawns, drawing room, recreation room, guest rooms, conference hall- everything. He submitted his dream to the teacher who reacted sharply to the proposal.

"Be realistic. You are a middle class boy and quite aware of your capabilities. I hadn’t asked you to fantasize." She wrote ‘F’ with a red pen on the papers. The boy got disappointed.

"Well, I can reconsider the grade if you review it to make practical." Said the teacher handing over sheets to the boy.

The boy took home and consulted his father if he should make another plan. "It is up to you. If you believe this is your dream, don’t change it", said father.

Next day the boy presented the same paper to the teacher.

"This is the 4000 square yard house you are sitting in and I am that boy. The drawings are the same as I made for the first time. And there hangs the framed project on the wall with ‘F’ imprinted on it", continued the speaker.

"Don’t steal anybody’s dream, particularly I say to the teachers. The same teacher now visits this farm every year along with her children. She has stopped crushing dreams."

No comments: